PUMPKIN WHOOPIE PIES WITH MAPLE FROSTING
or the best thing you could ever eat.
Total Time: Prep 30 minutes + Bake 10 minutes
Makes: 24 of the most amazing, mouth watering, YUMMY, servings
1 cup shortening
2 cups brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups gluten free flour (or all purpose flour)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin
1/4 cup gluten free flour (or all purpose flour)
3/4 cup skim milk
1 cup shortening
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup of maple syrup
1. In a large bowl, beat the shortening and brown sugar until mixture is fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beat well after each egg. Add vanilla. In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Alternate dry mix and pumpkin to shortening/brown sugar mix until everything is mixed in well.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
3. On a greased baking pan, drop by rounded tablespoonsfuls 2 inches apart. Bake for 10-11 minutes until lightly browned. Remove and place on wire rack to cool.
4. For filling, in a small saucepan, combine flour and salt and gradually whisk in milk until smooth. DO NOT leave it for one second or the flour starts to clump at the bottom and you’ll have to start over. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat and cook/stir over medium heat for 2 minutes until the mixture is thickened. Cover and refrigerate until completely cool. Have two glasses of wine. The mixture will be completely cool after two glasses. It must be two! #winkwink #yourewelcome
5. In a small bowl, beat shortening, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla until smooth. Add chilled mixture, maple syrup and beat for 7 minutes until light and fluffy.
6. Spread onto the bottom of 12 cookies and top with the remaining cookies.
7. DO NOT be surprised if you feel like you could absolutely KILL IT on Iron Chef America (baked goods edition, OF COURSE).
These PWP’s pair well with your sister’s birthday dinner after she opens up and finds two Darius Rucker tickets in a large birthday bag, two large glasses of Malbec (for yourself),
listening dancing to Zac Brown Band pandora station in your cutoff shorts and tank while daydreaming about your besties vacation in November, and/or sharing one of these pies with your boo like you two are starring in Lady and The Tramp. You’re welcome.
And here are two sweet (see what I did there??) pictures of my sis and I. Even though she wanted to send me back when I was born, she quickly realized that she would LOVE ME TO PIECES forever.