Stuffed spaghetti squash is my new favorite dish. Period.
I admit it. I have a spaghetti squash obsession. Mainly for the reasons that it allows me to feel like I’m eating spaghetti but a ‘good for you’ version. YES. WINNING. FEELING ALIVE.
The best part about stuffed spaghetti squash is that you can make any version you like. I decided to make a sausage and peppers version and it turned out delish.
Here’s how it goes…
1 Spaghetti Squash
1 roll of Lean Turkey Breakfast Sausage by Jenni-O
1 green pepper
1 raw onion
1/2 cup of oyster mushrooms
1 1/4 cup of your favorite spaghetti sauce
1/4 cup of mozzarella cheese
1 tsp of red pepper flakes (if you like it with a little kick)
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 35o degrees. Place whole spaghetti squash in microwave for 5 minutes. This makes it easier to cut in half.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half, place on baking sheet and brush insides with olive oil. Bake for an hour until slightly browned on top.
- While the squash is baking, spray skillet with nonstick cooking spray and preheat to medium high. Add turkey sausage to skillet and stir to crumble; approximately 14-16 minutes. Place sausage in bowl on side.
- In same skillet, add a little olive oil and sautee green pepper slices and oyster mushrooms until lightly browned; approximately 5 minutes
- Chop up raw onion into thin slices. Add onion, mushroom, peppers, and sauce to the bowl with your cooked sausage. Mix well. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring squash out and flake each halve with a fork to loosen up the squash. Add sauce mixture on top of each halve.
- Top with the best part: CHEESE.
- Place back in oven and broil on high for 10-15 minutes until brown and gooey and awesome and yummy.
- Depending on the size of the squash, 1/4 seems to be a good serving size and then you have good leftovers.
Stuffed spaghetti squash pairs well with a glass of Pinot Noir, cozy socks and dinner on the couch kind of a night, a cold winter’s day (finally), binging on The Great British Baking Show (anyone else??), or an easy night meal with your boo.